Sunday, December 8, 2019

Letters From Facebook Jail: Day 13


Corporate Media Vs. Citizen Journalism

If Mainstream Corporate Journalists and Internet Citizen Journalists were each a collective entity, they would sound something like this:

Mainstream Corporate Journalist: I am a journalist.
Internet Citizen Journalist: I'm just trying to point out facts.
MCJ: I work for a corporation.
ICJ: I work for myself.
MCJ: If I don’t earn a profit for my employers, I will be fired.
ICJ: I will likely never make a penny for my efforts.
MCJ: My money comes from corporate sponsors that include the pharmaceutical industry, the fossil fuel industry, and even military contractors.
ICJ: If I am lucky and do my job well, I will have supporters that throw a few bucks at me on Patreon.
MCJ: The more I speak for the powerful, the more successful I will be.
ICJ: The more I speak truth to power, the more successful I will be.
MCJ: I supported the Iraq War.
ICJ: I opposed the Iraq War.
MCJ I got up on television and said you were basically a traitor to your country if you opposed the Iraq War.(Joe Scarborough)
ICJ: Nevertheless, I went out on a street corner holding a sign opposing the Iraq war while rednecks in a pickup truck with a huge American flag swore at us and threatened us with violence.
MCJ: I said there was no doubt there were WMDs in Iraq.
ICJ: I didn’t believe it.
MCJ: I now refer to the Iraq War as a mistake.
ICJ: I now refer to the Iraq War as a crime.
MCJ: I hope that you will forget that I once supported the war so that I can maintain my appearance of having integrity.
ICJ: I hope you will remember that I opposed the war, thus proving my integrity.
MCJ: I work hard at my job in the hopes that one day I will get paid like Rachel Maddow or Sean Hannity.
ICJ: I work hard at my job in the hopes of saving the planet from environmental destruction and nuclear war.
MCJ: I have access to Robert Mueller and Mike Pompeo and am able to ask questions of them and get their responses.
ICJ: I point out how Robert Mueller is a liar and Mike Pompeo is an admitted liar and whatever they say should not be trusted.
MCJ: I have been making people aware of the protests in China.
ICJ: I have been making people aware of the protests in The United States. And Lebanon and Iraq and Equador and Chile and Columbia and Greece and France and…
MCJ: I have been ignoring Bernie Sanders and slandering Tulsi Gabbard.
ICJ: I have been pointing out this bias.
MCJ: I have been saying that Medicare For All is unaffordable.
ICJ: I’ve been saying that it is less expensive and covers more than our current system.
MCJ: I tell people they have to settle for the lesser of two evils.
ICJ: I’ve been telling people they have within them the power to change things for the better.
MCJ: I promoted Trump as a celebrity before he got involved in politics.
ICJ: I’ve never liked Trump.
MCJ: I show images of poor people in countries that are being sanctioned for disobeying Washington.
ICJ: I show pictures of homeless people living in tent cities in The United States.
MCJ: I sometimes mention climate change and ask what we can do about it without effecting our economy.
ICJ: I often mention climate change and say we won’t have an economy in a few years if we don’t do anything about it.
ICJ: I speak for the planet and say we must protect it.
MCJ: I speak for the fossil fuel industry and the automotive industry and say we need to power our economy.
ICJ: I speak for journalists and say nobody should go to jail for revealing the truth.
MCJ: I say Julian Assange isn’t a real journalist like Rachel Maddow and deserves to rot in prison.
ICJ: I say people need to put aside partisan politics and find ways to work together.
MCJ: I say Republicans are the enemy or the Democrats are the enemy, depending on whether I am working for FOX News or MSNBC.
ICJ: I frequently reference Martin Luther King Jr. and other important thinkers and leaders of history.
MCJ: I frequently reference Kanye West and other celebrities.
ICJ: I’m worried about the influence of money in American politics.
MCJ: I’m worried about the influence a picture of Jesus arm-wrestling the devil has on American politics.
ICJ: I want you to care about safe drinking water for Flint Michigan and elsewhere.
MCJ: I’m interested in letting you know which bottled water is best.
ICJ: I seek to enlighten you.
MCJ: I seek to entertain and titillate you.
ICJ: I want you to feel connected, so that you trust yourself.
MCJ: I want you to feel alienated, so that you trust the television.
ICJ: I want you to feel hopeful.
MCJ: I want you to feel fearful.
ICJ: I want you as a comrade.
MCJ: I want you as a loyal viewer.
ICJ: My voice is being censored.
MCJ: MY VOICE IS BEING AMPLIFIED.

Like my writing? Please follow me on Twitter, sign up for my newsletter, or check me out on Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment